Contact

Since 1923

Company development

Company development

Find out more

1923

On September 1st, 1923, Gebrüder Martin was founded for the production and sale of surgical instruments and all kind of metal products, as well as for the trading of own and foreign products. The fact that success at this time of dizzying inflation was only to be achieved in exports was also recognized by the then shareholders:

  • Fritz Martin - mechanic master
  • Gotthilf Martin - precision mechanic
  • Wilhelm Martin - precision mechanic

Soon, the associates Gotthilf and Wilhelm Martin left the company. Then, Fritz Martin took over the shares of his brothers. Managing Director of Gebrüder Martin was Rudolf Buck, who also took the initiative to merge other Tuttlingen based companies in the medical technology sector and to transform them from competition into a cooperation. The vision that every shareholder of the group takes over part of the production program took shape.
The following legally independent production companies joined forces to sell their products by Gebrüder Martin:

  • Rudolf Buck GmbH
  • Karl Leibinger Medizintechnik GmbH & Co. KG
  • Gebrüder Berchtold GmbH & Co. KG
  • Ueth & Haug GmbH
  • Karl Vögele Medizintechnik GmbH
  • H. + H. Handte GmbH & Co. KG
  • Josef Heiß OHG

Soon after the merger, Fritz Martin sold his shares to the other shareholders. The company name Gebrüder Martin, which is now well-known in international markets, is being continued.

1945

The Second World War initially stopped the further development. A company building was completely destroyed in 1945 and the situation forced the employees to work in emergency quarters.

1950

In the 1950s, new catalogs were published, and new product lines were also included in the program. Through its participation in international trade fairs and through worldwide marketing activities, the company established itself internationally.

1980

A new sales building was built in Ludwigstaler Str. 132 in Tuttlingen where Gebrüder Martin moved into in 1981.

1990

Stuckenbrock Medizintechnik GmbH was founded.

1991

Gebrüder Berchtold company left the group. The company shares were transferred to Trumpf GmbH + Co. KG, Ditzingen, Germany, and Fritz Hüttinger Medizintechnik GmbH + Co. KG, Freiburg, Germany. The two companies were now additional shareholders of Gebrüder Martin.

1995

Stuckenbrock Medizintechnik GmbH bought the shareholder company H. + H. Handte GmbH & Co. KG and took over their company shares of Gebrüder Martin.

1998

The shareholder companies Karl Vögele Medizintechnik GmbH and Stuckenbrock Medizintechnik GmbH were merged.

2001

The shareholder companies Ueth & Haug GmbH of Gebrüder Martin were purchased by Karl Leibinger Medizintechnik GmbH & Co. KG and merged with it.

2002

Stuckenbrock Medizintechnik GmbH bought the company shares of Gebrüder Martin from Josef Heiß OHG.

2004

The company shares of Trumpf GmbH + Co. KG of Gebrüder Martin were taken over by Karl Leibinger Medizintechnik GmbH & Co. KG and merged with it.

The company Fritz Hüttinger Medizintechnik GmbH + Co. KG was renamed to Trumpf Medizin Systeme GmbH + Co. KG. After this, the company shares were taken over by Karl Leibinger Medizintechnik GmbH & Co. KG and another change of name into KLS Martin GmbH + Co. KG was performed. Today, the company specializes in high-frequency and laser devices.

The name KLS Martin Group was introduced as a umbrella brand.

2013

On the occasion of the 90th birthday of Gebrüder Martin, the traffic circle in the Ludwigstaler Straße in Tuttlingen was officially renamed KLS Martin Platz. Parallel to the naming, a sculpture by the artist Jörg Bach was unveiled in the center of the circle. The official address of Gebrüder Martin is now: KLS Martin Platz 1 (formerly Ludwigstaler Str. 132)

2015

KLS Martin GmbH + Co. KG moved from Umkirch to a new company building in Freiburg.

2016

On January 20th, 2016, the new visitor center KLS Martin WORLD was opened in Tuttlingen.

2018

Karl Leibinger Medizintechnik GmbH & Co. KG achieves the second place in a study by Focus magazine on fairness at work within the medical technology sector.

To the study

Internationalisation

Internationalization

Find out more

1992

The first subsidiary Martin Italia S.r.l. based in Milan, Italy, started its operations.

1993

Karl Leibinger Medizintechnik founded KLS Martin L.P. in Jacksonville (Florida), which now sells specialty products for craniomaxillofacial surgery, plastic surgery and neurosurgery in North America. 

1995

Business contacts with Japan had existed since the 1950s. In 1995, Nippon Martin K.K. established a subsidiary in Tokyo. In the same year, the subsidiary Martin Nederland/Marned B.V. in Huizen near Amsterdam went to the start.

2003

In the course of the further expansion, the new warehousing center in Tuttlingen was established.

2007

A representative office in Moscow was opened.

2010

A representative office was opened in Shanghai.

2011

A representative office was opened in Dubai. In the UK, in the center of Reading, the subsidiary KLS Martin UK Ltd. was founded.

2014

New subsidiaries were established in Malaysia (KLS Martin SE Asia Sdn Bhd.), Brazil (KLS Martin do Brasil Ltda.) and in the Sydney metropolitan area (KLS Martin Australia Pty Limited).

2016

In India, the subsidiary KLS Martin India Pvt Ltd. was opened.

In Penang the first production facility was opened outside Germany (KLS Martin Malaysia Sdn Bhd.).

With the founding of KLS Martin Manufacturing, LLC in Jacksonville, the first production facility was built outside Germany for implants. The focus is on the production of patient-specific implants by means of additive manufacturing processes.

2017

The representative office in Shanghai is being changed to a subsidiary of Gebrüder Martin – KLS Martin Medical (Shanghai) International Trading Co., Ltd.

Made by KLS Martin Group

Made by KLS Martin Group

Find out more

1896
Beginnings

Karl Leibinger founded the company Karl Leibinger Medizintechnik and started producing surgical instruments. Today, the family-owned enterprise is managed by the fourth and fifth generation and has developed into a manufacturer of implants, surgical instruments, sterilization containers and surgical lights.

1923
The first electrosurgical device

High-frequency current was used for the first time in the field of medicine. In cooperation with the Freiburg University hospital, we pioneered the manufacturing of electrosurgical devices. Over the years numerous innovations were added as this product effort grew into an essential mainstay of the Group’s portfolio.

1950
Surgical instruments made of stainless steel

Since the company was established, surgical instruments dominated the product portfolio. Devices made of stainless steel – at that time a cutting-edge material – were added.

1975
The start of maxillofacial surgery

Together with Prof. Champy, the scientific pioneer from Strasbourg, we developed the use of miniplate osteosynthesis in maxillofacial surgery. This technique, which established the “gold standard”, constituted an important step towards helping people suffering from traumas or malformations.

1976
Atraumatic instruments for cardiovascular surgery

By continuously developing its atraumatic instruments, KLS Martin considerably contributed to the safety of cardiovascular surgery. For instance, the specially designed hemostats and their atraumatic working ends allow for the reliable interruption of the blood flow without crushing or damaging the vessels.

1979
Instruments with tungsten carbide inserts

Instruments with tungsten carbide inserts were added to the product portfolio. They feature a service life substantially longer than that of inserts comprised of conventional instrument steel. To allow for easy differentiation, they are fitted with a golden ring and marketed under the name of TC Gold.

1991
The addition of surgical lighting in the program

KLS Martin started producing surgical and examination lights. Thanks to its outstanding photometric characteristics, the first halogen light went on to become an international bestseller just after its introduction to the market.

1992
Hand surgery and the Ulna Head Prosthesis 

The goal to provide medical specialists with dedicated devices and instrumentation inspired KLS Martin to establish the hand surgery program. The first milestone was the development of the Ulna Head Prosthesis, which is now a clinically proven and well-accepted product.

1993
The introduction of surgical laser devices

New technologies enable modern surgical techniques. To supplement the portfolio of surgical instruments and electrosurgical devices, laser devices were added. Products like the MY 30, the most compact laser of its day, were employed for contactless cutting, ablation, and hemostasis.

1999
Distractors for maxillofacial surgery

Offering the most comprehensive modular portfolio of tried and tested distraction devices for craniomaxillofacial surgery, KLS Martin is considered a market and technology leader worldwide. Both scientific findings and their proven handling in daily clinical practice are widely documented.
 

2000
The first specialty laser for lung and thoracic surgery

The My 40 was the first specialty laser device for the use in lung parenchyma surgery. Its optimized wavelength allows for parenchyma- and lobe-preserving surgery. Today, the diode-pumped Nd:Yag-Laser Limax® is considered the most successful specialty laser in the world for the use in thoracic surgery.

2002
The most modern container system in the world

In cooperation with the renowned Fraunhofer-Institute, KLS Martin developed MicroStop® . This is the first sterilization container with a reusable sterile barrier that can be fully decontaminated. Thanks to this germ barrier and its innovative indicator, it replaced the need for consumables like fillings or filters.

LevelOne 20

2002
LevelOne – everything in sight

By introducing LevelOne, KLS Martin once again set new standards in oral and maxillofacial surgery. This innovative storage system for implants, instruments, and screws is not only neat and compact, but also individually configurable and interchangeable.
 

 

Electrosurgery maXium

2003
The beginning of a new era of electrosurgical devices

The electrosurgical device maXium® combined the latest highfrequency technology with an intuitive user interface. Featuring a unique combination of easy handling, excellent design, performance, and diverse special functions, it became the optimal solution for all clinical disciplines.

Vessel sealing marSeal IQ

2005
The onset of HF vessel sealing

Sealing technology enabled new, patient-friendly surgical methods: Vessels can be sealed and dissected in one step and without ligature. By marketing marSeal, KLS Martin introduced the first reusable vessel sealing device with integrated cutting function.

 

2006
A revolution in osteosynthesis

In the field of osteosynthesis, SonicWeld Rx® opened new horizons. Thanks to its welding process being supported by ultrasonic technology, the resorbable material is tightly anchored inside the bone structure. This results in a hitherto unprecedented, three-dimensional primary stability.

2008
The beginning of the LED lighting era

Nowadays, surgical lights using LED s to provide illumination are state-of-the-art. KLS Martin was one of the first manufacturers to apply this innovative technology. The marLED® V series still impresses with its design, which was awarded with the Focus Green Silber and the Red Dot Design Award.

2010
Optimization in hand surgery

In the field of hand surgery, KLS Martin set new standards both in handling and design, offering a comprehensive portfolio of products and systems for standard as well as complex cases.
 

2011
marWorld® shapes surgical environments

With the modular concept marWorld® KLS Martin offers individual all-in-one solutions for operating rooms from a single source. This includes both equipment and consulting services throughout the complete process – from concept via planning to realization.
 

2014
IPS Implants® – individual patient implants make the difference

After the latest technology in individual patient image data became widely available, KLS Martin began producing customized implants made of biocompatible materials that restore both ideal form and function to the patient.

2016
IPS Gate® opens new routes for individual patient implants 

The web-based platform and App IPS Gate® safely and comfortably guides through the ordering, design, and shipping process of individually planned and produced individual patient implants and connects surgeons all over the world.

2016
Virtual planning and simulation of surgeries

The intuitive software IPS CaseDesigner® allows the planning and simulation of surgical operations as well as the design of implants based on individual patient data.